2009-07-03

Unemployed

On July 1, I joined the 14.7 million unemployed in the United States. I was laid-off as my employer decided to down-size and move headquarters from Oakland, CA to Scottsdale, AZ.
I just turned 47 last month, with a wife to support and an upside-down mortgage to pay off. With what, I don't know. I'd try my luck switching career to music, but that'd be fool-hearty of me, what with a dependent and a long-term debt.
I'll probably lose my house now, but that might be a blessing in disguise. I bought it at $240k 2 years ago, and the county just re-assessed the value at $43k.
I just submitted my unemployment insurance claim yesterday. I've been paying in for so long, it's about time I got something back!
Who knows when I'll find my next full-time job! The way things look, it just might take a year or more.
What to do in the meantime? Network, job-hunt, network, write music, network...
Life can be real simple sometimes! :D

No comments: